I have beenthrifting my whole life, and by that I mean I clearly remember mom putting me on a pile of clothes while she goes through every piece of clothing, she’d put me there to hold on to her selected pieces and occasionally check for holes or stains.
What brings me to write about this topic is my love for thrifted goods, that rush of happiness when you find something unique, to me is incomparable. It also helped me grow my own personal style !
So why do I thrift shop ?
- well the first and obvious reason is Price. Clothes are so cheap anybody can afford them, this is also a key factor if I want to try a style I’m not sure of and get out of my comfort zone!
- Uniqueness, I know I don’t like to be dressed as everybody else, I left uniform a long time ago at school or for when I join the army!! so the thrift market gives me what I need. unique one of a kind pieces for me to style as I please .
- I like to think that clothes are somewhat alive or at least the material is so I like to take home abandoned beauties and lengthen the life of the clothes. It’s less wasteful especially if I think about leather.
- Vintage, if I know one thing about fashion is that it keeps going back and forth in trends colors shapes cuts … thrifting shops are the best places to find the coming back trends.
- DIYable, pinterest has made us crazy about those easy DIY projects on t-shirt sweaters and what not , I would hunt for some pieces with a diy project in mind and take the chance with a cheap pieces that can’t really be used or that no one would want.
- It’s therapeutic, maybe just for me I enjoy looking through piles and piles and select what I find to be the best. what’s for sure is it’s fun take a good friend of yours and have a blast.
Do you thrift too ? I’ll try to upload some of my finds and outfits, feel free to send me some of yours I’m really interested in knowing what good stuff you can find in your thrift shops.
If you’re going to start thrifting here are some guidelines every thrifter should observe :
– Try it on ( wear legging and t-shirt or something that allows you to try clothes on even if there is no changing room)
– Do you 100% like it if not put it back in its place (I’ve ended up with lots of unwanted items before starting to follow this rule)
– You’ll have to wash clothes before you wear them ( this is a must!)
– read labels if there are any on how to wash and dry clothes.
– bright colors should be washed alone or preferably by hand you never know if the clothes tend to stain or not.
– And most of all have fun.